item6

Teaching you to embrace today while making yourself a millionaire!

I wish I would have understood how easy it is to become a millionaire by starting to save small amounts of money when I was younger...

I feel compelled to share the simple concepts you can apply today....

logo

14 July 2009

Tuesday's Tips

Guten tag meine Damen und Herren! I felt like blogging about travel today, and my past with Germany just sort of popped up for a moment. Travel is something that I particularly love to do, and with so many places to go there are great offers available all the time!

1) When flying check about baggage check fees. This is becoming a way that airlines are supplementing their bankroll. Some airlines charge $15 per first bag and $25 for each additional. Some charge $25 per first bag and $50 for each additional! This is outrageous because it can make a cheap flight costly. So research the airline to find out what you're getting into. Most airlines still allow one piece of luggage and a personal carry-on per passenger, so try to consolidate and avoid checking bags. If you have a backpack try packing items in it, or even put your purse in it, and stow it under the seat in front of you. Another way to save on baggage is to see if the hotel you're staying at will reimburse for checked baggage. Hotels are being hit big by the slowing economy and many will offer discounted rooms or a credit if you have to check luggage along the way. This last trick is being caught on to, but it might be worth a shot. Don't check anything and just check it at the door of the plane. Often the flight attendants will have your luggage put into the cargo hold at no cost! This probably won't last much longer, but you never know.

2) Don't be afraid to ask hotels about room rates. Traveling can be expensive, but if you ask about discounted room rates or give competitor's prices it can often lead to a cheaper stay. One website I love to use is
Kayak. This website will search through the major price search websites like Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, and Hotwire to find the best deals. Some of these sites will allow you to pick a price you want to pay and it will give you a hotel in the area that will accept your price/night. Using these sites can often lead to discounted flights and hotel stays.

3) Reach out to friends and family around your destination if possible. I have an aunt that lives in Virginia and is just dying to have family visit. This is great for me because it saves me on hotels and entertainment (she has kayaks, lives near the beach, etc.). I also have family up and down the rest of the east coast, and if I ever plan on taking a trip their way I call them and check on staying a night or two. Why not use connections if you have them? Plus, they know that if they ever visit Columbus I have a guest room that they are more than welcome to use.

Summer is upon us people! Take advantage of the nice weather and visit someplace new. But don't forget to check on the many ways to save money. I'm sure Mary will have some great tips on other ways to save money while traveling.

I'm on a 168 hour break, so until then Stay Tuned...

No comments:

site design: www.brianmedia.net

CONTACT

ARCHIVE